Monday, November 3, 2008

When it rains...

Everything has been so dry around here since we arrived. Very hot, and there were fires all over because there just wasn't any rain to be seen. A few weeks back we had some drizzles, but it was basically nothing. Everything was dry again in a few hours.

Someone must have hit a switch SOMEWHERE! Or else the sky just finally cracked open.

This weekend the temperature dropped about 30 degrees, and it started raining in earnest. On hallow's eve it was sort of annoying, on and off showers that made it nessicary for me to cart an umbrella around with my trick-or-treating pillowcase. XD Saturday it was heavier, lots heavier. You should have seen all the big fat earthworms crawling out of the grass onto the pavement. I was going to grab some for my uncle; but he said that he had all he needed already... He also reminded me that you're not supposed to speak to strange worms. lol

And then yesterday... yesterday was such a storm! Lighting flashing across the sky, thunder rumbling. Oh it was grand! ^-^ I wish that I'd had a chance to go outside and run around in it. There's just something about being outside during a real and true rainstorm, I can't describe it. It's like being in another world. All you hear is the rain drops pounding down, you feel the water all around you, and then all of a sudden the lightning splits acrss the sky like some kind of fantastic crazy ribbon. You can almost feel the shockwave run through the air as the thunder booms overhead. And there's no other feeling like it.

Of course, when you've finished dancing in the rain, nothing's cozier than coming inside, wrapping yourself in blankets and snugggling down with something warm and a good book... or a fun psp game! ^-^

It's still raining hard today, and I'm enjoying the chilly air and the feeling of... density, as if everything is wrapped up in a dark grey blanket. It's put me in a funny, dreamy sort of mood. The kind of mood where I love to listen to all the songs that pull at my heart strings. It's sort of strange. Right now, in this moment, with the sky pouring out it's heart outside and 'May It Be' playing in my headphones, I feel perfectly contented and forlorn at the same time. If I close my eyes, I can see the view from my own bedroom window again, I can see the mountains and the river, I can see the the snow falling so softly and noiselessly.

I'll say it's Alaska that I'm missing; but I know that's not the truth... not the whole truth. To tell the whole truth would be like cracking the sky open again. And you know what they say, 'When it rains... it pours.'

1 comment:

Mythopoeia said...

'Contented and forlorn'--Such a perfect pairing of words, it started me daydreaming. I know exactly what you're describing. Lovely.