Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Waste Not

I am often accused, mostly by my own sisters, of being a packrat. That only becomes a bad thing when you get to the point where you can't throw gum wrappers away because you just know that you're going to be able to use them as bookmarks someday. Thankfully, I've never been quite that bad. ^-^

My family is always commenting, however, on all the things that I do keep, until they are completely and utterly worn to shreds. The favorite seeems to be my purple snowboots. (Which I love dearly) I've had them since I was about.... twelve? Somewhere around there. They still fit, they're still warm, and I still think they're cute... so why get rid of them? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Of course just because it is broken doesn't mean it needs to be thrown away. ^-^ Especially with clothes, I have a 'If you can fix it, you don't need a new one,' policy. It really doesn't come into play that much; because I am pretty good to my clothes and shoes. Usually it's my pants that I end up mending. They get holes in the knees... and on occaision in the bottom. I get very fond of my jeans and things; so I'm not about to throw them away for a little hole! As long I have a needle, thread, and random scraps of denim or cloth I will always have a few pairs of favorite jeans kickin' around my closet.

Maybe, with luck, I can pass them down to my own girls someday? Patchwork ought to be back in fashion by then. ^-^

1 comment:

Linden said...

Oh, you sound like me! I knew that great minds think alike!

Love ya - Laura